Saturday, February 24, 2018

Dating Old Photographs: Example #1

I have so many old photographs in my family's collection, many of whom are unknown, or at least the dates are unknown. Previously, I gave some tips on how I've narrowed down when a photo was likely taken, but I'd like share the multitude of photos I have as examples. I'll start with this portrait of an unknown woman from my family's collection. I believe her to possibly be a family friend of my ancestors, most probably the Fallows or Godshalls, given the location and time period.

My estimate: 1896-1899

With this one, the first thing I did was look up the photographer at these addresses. Louis Baul had a studio at 56 North 8th Street and also 1937 Germantown Ave, Philadelphia, during the years 1889 to 1908. This narrows it down a little bit, but that's still a 20 year period. To narrow it down further, we need to look at the materials used, as well as the clothing and hair.

The mount used is very ornate, and textured. According to Phototree.com, these became popular in the late 1890s, which fits within the photographer's time frame. Additionally, according to the fashion dating guide at the University of Vermont, the puffy shoulders you see here, particularly the size and shape, are indicative of the mid to late 1890s. The hair is also typical of the mid to late 1890s, as women began to grow out and flatten the frizzy bangs which were popular in the 1880s and early 1890s, and parting their softer waves in the center.

Lastly, the color of the photo is important too. In earlier decades, carte de visites and cabinet cards were printed on sepia like paper and card, with brownish tones to them. It wasn't until the 1890s when true black and white photos became available. This one may be a touch brownish, when I grayscale it completely in Photoshop, there's a notable difference, however, that could be attributed to age. In comparison with older cabinet cards, this is not sepia.

So everything is consistent with being from the 1890s, most probably from the late 1890s.

No comments:

Post a Comment